Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A Rocky Start


Sometimes you wonder about me, right?  Well, before I left the Friday group in Leesburg decided to paint rocks.  Anyway you wanted to.  I remember reading about someone who painted rocks with tiny dots.  VERY beautiful and exact designs.  The video that explained the process, I remember, showed that the artist used a set of amazing tools allowing her to make precise dots with graduated sizes.  Whew...VERY time consuming and very geometric. 

 I highly admired these but knew that I was not interested in really adopting this strict technique.  But I thought it would fun to so something with dots.  Above is my simple try.  I used eraser on the end of pencils.  I only had 3 sizes.  I coated my rocks with black gesso first and then used Dylusions acrylic paint for the dots.  Then coated them with a gloss varnish.

So then I had put out too much paint and I thought how to use up the left overs!  Well, there is always time to make a mono-print or two, right?




So with left over paint I rolled out some of the acrylic on my gelatin plate and took a few pulls.  This one took two pulls and then I added some white lines for fun.  I used pre-adhesive paper from a pack of papers intended for putting on CDs.  After they are all dry you can pull them off and use them in collage or in my case, as stationary decoration!  



There was enough paint left over for 3 more pulls.  These will make nice collage papers or wrapping paper.  It's amazing how little paint these take!!!

So these are my first projects in my studio in the Northwoods after spending several days trying to find things and put them in some sort of order.  

1 comment:

  1. I have a whole bag of rocks I want to do something with for what Leesburg plans to do in September. They are getting involved with scattering painted rocks for other people to find throughout town :-)

    I like the dot patterns and will probably do most of mine in a similar fashion.

    The monoliths is something I want to do and think would be great as an Open Studio Friday event. I need to get supplies but at the moment unsure just what to get.

    ReplyDelete